I don't know about you, but I'm an avid reader — and I'm also one of those people who prefers holding an actual book rather than reading them on a phone or a tablet. There's just something about books that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and I absolutely love using them as decor once they've been read.
If you enjoy books as much as I do, and you're looking for a fun and unique way to store them in your home, I'm going to suggest giving the following DIY a try!
What You Need
- Elastic ribbon
- Wooden shelf
- Staple gun
- Drill with bit
- Shelf brackets with screws
- Spray paint (optional)
- Hot glue gun (optional)
- Decorative knickknacks (optional)
- To get this project started, lay the shelf on your work surface and place one end of the elastic ribbon on top of it.
- Staple the ribbon in place a few inches away from the edge and then grab your first book.
- Hold the book on the shelf, making sure it is on top of the stapled end of your ribbon, and then pull the excess over the top.
- Make sure you're pulling fairly tight to the bottom before removing the book and holding the ribbon in place where it meets the shelf.
- Fold the ribbon one inch back on itself and secure it in place with a staple.
- Repeat this process for as many books as you'd like or that the shelf will allow.
While these loops will accommodate most book sizes and shapes, it's best to use the ones you intend to store on the shelf when sizing the ribbon.
- When you're happy with the number of book loops you've added to the shelf, fold the ribbon under itself and staple it to the end of the last loop you created.
- Trim the excess ribbon.
- Next, flip the shelf over and attach your brackets to the side without the elastic ribbon. If you want, you can spray paint them before completing this step.
- Mount the shelf to the wall of your choice and place your books inside the loops.
- At this point, you can either leave the shelf the way it is, or you can give it a bit more personality by hot gluing some knickknacks to the underside beside your books!